The Ancient Wisdom of the Chinese Tonic Herbs
(Warner Books, First Published 1998)
A Selection of Quality Paperback Book Club and an Alternate Selection of One Spirit™ Book Club
“Simple, easy-to-understand language…a practical guide to enlivening our inner healer.”
- David Simon, M.D., medical director, the Chopra Center for Well Being, and author of The Wisdom of Healing
“The Ancient Wisdom of the Chinese Tonic Herbs is by far the clearest book on Chinese herbology that I have ever seen. Mr. Teeguarden logically presents the fundamentals of the traditional Chinese medicine philosophy: 1. Yin and Yang 2. The three treasures: Jing, Qi (chi) and Shen 3. The five elements: Earth, Water, Fire, Metal, and Wood. Then he presents the important tonic herbs in three traditional classes: superior herbs, supportive herbs and inferior herbs. The second half of the book is devoted to herbal combinations and which herbs to use for specific health concerns. I cannot say enough about this book except to buy it. If you read it two or three times, it seems to me that the intelligent reader will have a good working knowledge of the basics of the more important Chinese tonic herbs.”
- Michael Laughrin (February 27, 2009)
“Expands our health options…makes foreign ideas easy to grasp and fun to learn. Read it, taste the wonder of Chinese tonic herbs and radiant health.
- Harriet Beinfield, Lic.Ac., coauthor of Between Heaven and Earth: A Guide to Chinese Medicine
“A fantastic resource…for anyone who wants to live life to the fullest. After reading The Ancient Wisdom of the Chinese Tonic Herbs, I really understand why and how the Chinese tonic herbs have helped me and my family so much.”
- Danny Glover, actor, public policy activist
“Terrific…explains the problems that I have, the reasons, and the answers to how I can solve many of them. It’s fantastic!”
- Melvin Simon, co-chairman Simon-DeBartolo Group
“Excellent and very timely…Ron’s knowledge of herbs helped me through my recovery and to get on with my life.”
- Ben Vereen, dancer/actor
“Recommended reading…important…simply and elegantly sheds new light on age-old Chinese herbal wisdom….Colearly showing it will guide our path to the future.”
- Margo Jordan Parker, OMD, Lic.Ac., Dipl.Ac. (NCCA)
“User friendly, informative, and timely…Kudos to Ron Teeguarden, who has produced an indispensable resource that is vital and beneficial.”
- Cranford L. Scott, M.D., FACP, Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, and clinical professor of medicine University of Southern California School of Medicine
Foreword to the Book
By Xu Guo-Jun, Ph.D., Wang Zhen-Tao, Ph.D., and Zhou Zhen-He, Ph.D.
Health is everything. Health is all. Health is the most precious treasure anyone can possess. Without health, our life would be dull – no happiness, no success, a great loss. “Health and longevity?” is the most sincere and pleasing greeting presented by Chinese people. This book, The Ancient Wisdom of the Chinese Tonic Herbs, written by Ron Teeguarden, will help you to discover a marvelous field of healthcare. Hopefully, it will help you use some of the tonics and achieve radiant health.
The art of radiant health has been widely practiced for thousands of years by the people of the East. In China, you will find that this healthcare art has permeated into almost every corner of life. Tonic teas, foods, and wine are familiar to and appreciated by all the people of the East. But Westerners may find them mysterious, inconceivable and somehow ridiculous. Now Ron Teeguarden’sbook provides a powerful glass through which you in the West can easily spy on the secrets of the Chinese healthcare arts.
The classical Chinese philosophies and theories on nature and the human body may be the biggest obstacle for the Westerners to learning and practicing a program for radiant health. With his profound knowledge about Chinese civilization, the author of this book has successfully kicked the big stone away and can therefore lead the readers smoothly into the great palace of Chineseradiant health. Readers will find Chapters 1 through 3 of this book that the principles of the Chinese art of radiant health have become simple and understandable due to the author’s clear and accurate interpretations and descriptions. We really appreciate it very much.
The author’s brief introduction to Chinese herbalism and tonic herbs is also just to the point. Through it, readers can easily learn and grasp how Chinese tonic herbs are classified, selected, and used. All the tonics and herbal formulations listed and introduced in this book are the classical ones or their derivatives. These herbs have been proven to be safe and efficacious by long histories of practice, as well as by laboratory research done in China, Japan, Korea, and elsewhere. Now herbal tonics and preparations have been commonly accepted and widely used almost everywhere in the world. It is not difficult to find monographs describing Chinese herbal medicines in book stores, but in our opinion, this book may be the best one. Reading this book, you may become interested in the art of radiant health and begin to consume some Chinese tonic herbs or herbal preparations, which are of no harm to you and will soon benefit you if you select and use the herbs properly, as described in this book.
The art of radiant health was created and developed by the Chinese people. But it belongs to all human beings. We wish that these classical Chinese arts will be better recognized and used by all the people for the world, so as to improve both our health and our life.
- Wang Zhen-Tao, Ph.D., Director, Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, Shanghai University of TCM, Shanghai, China; Professor ofPharmacognosy, Head, Shanghai R&D Center for Standardization of Traditional Chinese Medicines, Shanghai, China; Director, Department ofPharmacognosical Research, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing China; Member of The Pharmacopoeia Commission of People’s Republic of China; Vice Editor-in-Chief, The Pharmacopoeia of P.R.China (English Edition); Member of New Drug Evaluation Committee, State Food and Drug Administration China; Vice Chairman, Association of TCM and Natural Products, Pharmaceutical Association of China; Vice Chairman, Association of Natural Products Resources, Natural Resources Association of China; Director of Association for GAP Research and Promotion of Chinese Medicinal Materials, China; Member of Evaluation Committee, Award of China Medical Sciences & Young Medical Scientists; Member of Science Committee, National Engineering Research Centre for Modernization of TCM; Member of Editorial Boards: Chinese Pharmaceutical Journal, Journal of Chinese Materia Medica, Journal of Chinese Medicinal Materials; Modernization of Traditional Chinese Medicine and MateriaMedica; World Science and Technology; Journal of China Pharmaceutical University; Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines; Traditional Chinese Drug Research & Clinical Pharmacology; Research and Practice of Chinese Medicines; Publisher of 10 books & monographs and more than 200 papers
- Xu Guo-Jun, Ph.D., Professor emeritus at China Pharmaceutical University in Nanjing, China, a member of the Advisory Panel on Medicine, Academic Degree Committee, China; member of the Consulting Specialist Committee (Pharmacy), Chinese Ministry of Health; director of the Chinese Pharmaceutical Association; member of the Chinese Pharmacopeia Commission; member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Zhou Zhen-He, Ph.D., President of the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine at China Pharmaceutical University in Nanjing, China
[Dragon Herbs Note: It was these three professors who first dubbed Ron Teeguarden “Master Herbalist” in 1994]
Ron Teeguarden is the King of Herbs. His work awakens the divine within each person that encounters it. Everyone must read his book!
- Romio Shrestha, modern master of the Indo-Nepali-Tibetan Buddhist traditions of enlightenment art; he directs a school of artist-craftsmen in the Katmandu valley of Nepal; his works are represented in The British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, American Museum of Natural History, and Tibet House in New York City. He has two very well known books: The Tibetan Art of Healing and Celestial Gallery (the best selling picture book of mandalas). The central art of enlightened beings is the art of the mandala. His mandalas adorn the residences of his Holiness the Dalai Lama, Deepak Chopra, Donovan Leitch, and others.
Shipping is FREE in the UK for orders over £100. We ship all goods Monday - Friday. We don't ship any goods Saturday or Sunday. All orders placed before 3pm will be included in that days shipments.